2 Years - 18 Months Prior
- Form a committee to come up with a list of possible dates.
- Put together a mailing/phone/e-mail list.
- If you are Internet savvy, you may choose to put together a family reunion website that your family can log onto to get reunion information. Look for free family reunion websites on Google.com!
18 - 12 Months Prior
- Send out an initial mailing announcing the reunion and a list of possible dates. Ask family members to vote concerning the date. Make sure everyone realizes "majority rules."
- Review votes and select finalized date.
- Call 1-800-952-3553 and ask for the groups dept. to make lodging accommodations at the Honeysuckle Inn & Conference Center.
- Organize committees for entertainment/events, childcare, games, etc.
9-6 Months Prior
- Plan reunion schedule and daily activities (programs, speakers, awards ceremonies, etc.)
- Send out a second mailing announcing the finalized time and place of the reunion, accommodations at the Honeysuckle Inn & Conference Center (with their toll free number, 1-800-942-3553), types of activities, registration forms (if needed), and a call for volunteers.
- Make catering arrangements. The Honeysuckle Inn & Conference Center does this, but if you prefer an outdoor cookout or potluck, the State Park is an excellent option. They also have space available for these types of activities.
- Contact a photographer or delegate a family member to take lots of pictures including the popular 4th & 5th generation pictures.
4 Months Prior
- Design and order family T-shirts, hats, or other keepsakes.
- Confirm reservations, entertainment, photographer, caterer, etc.
- Select any decorations that require a professional touch, such as printed banners or letterhead.
2 Months Prior
- Send out follow-up postcard/reminder to all attendees encouraging them to finalize their personal reservations and any other activities requiring their attention.
- Draw up list of attendees; make follow-up calls.
- Enlist volunteers for whatever events require them.
1 Month Prior
- Buy- or assign a volunteer(s) to- buy non-perishable items such as name tags (pre-printed or the blank kind people write their own names on), raffle tickets, craft supplies, decorations, film, etc.
2 Weeks Prior
- Make a checklist. Include list of volunteers and their assignments.
- Check in with volunteers and review final details.
- Confirm reunion arrangements with the facility.
1 Week Prior
- Load up cameras/camcorders with film/tape/batteries.
- Assemble welcome packets, name tags, etc.
- Double-check your checklist.
- Organize volunteers.
- ENJOY YOURSELF!
- Pat yourself on the back, relax, and enjoy the peace.
- Complete bookkeeping; settle accounts.
- Call or write volunteers to thank them for their efforts.
- Send follow-up mailing/newsletter to entire family, including those who could not attend, describing the events of the weekend.
- Start planning your next reunion!